Saturday, August 8, 2009

Home


For those who may not know, things in China did not exactly work out as I had planned. The day we met Chen Jia Bin (Claire), it was very evident she had multiple medical and developmental problems. She's a beautiful and sweet little girl and Jill and I came to love her dearly in the two and a half days she was with us. But, as a dear friend reminded me, our plan B is often God's plan A all along. After much heartache and consultation with both American and Chinese medical professionals, I knew I could not bring her home. But God's hand was evident to everyone involved when I got a referral for Yong Xiao Shun (Charis) the next day and was able to adopt her the day after. We arrived home on July 31st after a long and grueling trip that included a 14 1/2 hour flight from Shanghai to Newark, NJ. But the verse that keeps playing over and over in my head is "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen." Ephesians 3:20-21 I would have never even asked to be the mother of a 5 1/2 month old daughter from China, because according to all that I know about Chinese adoptions, that would not be possible. God has been glorified in the recognition of His work in this adoption.




We've been home a week now - what a trip the last three weeks has been. I'm going to post info and pictures about the trip, but haven't had time to put it all down yet. Charis is doing well and has slept through the night the last two nights. We've been to visit grandma (who thinks she's quite special!)and had our first bath at home. We've had our first trip to the pediatrician (and our first blood draw - ouch!). We've had several visitors and Aunt Sharen was so gracious to stay with us the first few days - I am so grateful to have sisters who are so excited about having a new niece. After all, the last nephew was 19 years ago!!! And I'm also grateful to those who have shared their baby items with us - thank you Kristen and Avery, Jackie and Anna, Terri and Gianna, Connie and Hannah and others!